Er is zoveel te zien en beleven, voor uw gemak hebben we alles op een overzichtelijke manier verdeeld.
Mocht u dingen missen, neemt u dan aub contact met ons op.
Airborne Monument Arnhem
The Airborne monument in Arnhem is one of the former Palace of Justice damaged column by war and is on the list of National Monuments. The column is placed on a pedestal. The column is 1 meter wide and one meter deep.
The text on the pedestal: ’17 September 1944 ‘.
Next to the monument hang two reliefs on the wall, one of the airborne symbol Pegasus and one that says “Battle of Arnhem 44 Bridge to the Future 94”.
“Here and there a battered column, in our restored world, to bear witness to the devastation that once was. A pillar as carrier of memories of impermanence and death, but also of victory and life. ”
The ‘Airborne monument “stands in the middle of the Airborne Square in Arnhem, also known as the Bear Pit (in the rotunda of the driveway of the John Frost Bridge).
On Friday, September 18th, 2009 was the first time the German Ambassador Thomas Läufer stood at the memorial was present. He laid a wreath to commemorate the fallen of the Battle of Arnhem. For him put diplomatic and military representatives of Great Britain and Poland flowers after him followed colleagues from Australia, Canada and the United States. British and Polish veterans received massive applause from the audience in a guard of honor towards the town hall.
Remembrance and wreath laying
Friday at 18:30
In the “Bear Pit” are at the monument commemorating the Airborne fighters, who at the foot of the Rhine bridge lost their lives during the fighting for this bridge. Wreaths will be laid by representatives of the veterans, but also by civilian and military authorities. It lay a good tradition that many citizens of Arnhem flowers here at this meeting. Young soldiers of the Air – Brigade act as flags guard. While playing the national anthems they hoist the national flag. The whole is accompanied musically by the Arnhem Band of Scouting Netherlands in cooperation with the “Pipes and Drums of the Royal British Legion.” Students who have adopted the monument, will lay flowers last.
Airborne Monument Oosterbeek
The Airborne Memorial in Oosterbeek (municipality of Renkum) is a memorial column topped by a stone sculpture group of five male figures Freedom figure rises above the others. It is surrounded by the figures of civilians and soldiers, freedom scrapers hosting. Faith, Justice, the Homely place, Hope and Love, all his thoughts and ideals, which have their symbols in stone.
At the memorial is an information placed. A souvenir picture are the names of those who made this project possible. The picture is built into one of the walls of the lighting.
At the foot of the column are embossed four performances: the east, the landing of Allied troops for the south side help from the Oosterbeek women to the wounded, the west side of the co-operation of the underground resistance to the Airborne and the north the last heroic resistance.
The monument to the Utrechtseweg was founded in 1946 by the sculptor Jacob Maris. However, there is no inscription, but this is to be found at the bus stop at the Utrechtseweg. Here is among others the course of the battle and why the monument was erected: But in their hearts remained alive the memory of these heroic British soldiers who fought for our liberation and fell. When the residents returned from Oosterbeek, they decided spontaneously to their homage, reverence and gratitude to bear witness to the founding of a memorial. After the war, this monument was erected with money from the citizens. The first commemoration took place among the ruins. In 1991 the monument was given a permanent relief.
Airborne Monument Ede
The Airborne monument at Ginkel Heath in Ede is an official commemoration stabbing and was unveiled on September 19, 1960 by Major General Urquhart. The monument was designed and manufactured by mrs. H. Heuff-Furnace (design), K. van Berkel and J. Rombouts.
The Airborne monument at Ginkel Heath in Ede is a concrete memorial column, topped by a bronze eagle with spread wings. The base is in the form of a crystal, from which the monument rises as a prism.
The monument is 3 meters high, 30 centimeters wide and 30 centimeters deep.
three brass emblems affixed to the column. At first emblem is a winged and crowned parachute depicted on the emblem second arm of the King’s Own Scottish Borderer and the third a logo depicting a purple Pegasus (the mythological winged horse). At the foot of the memorial is a plaque of stone. The text on the plaque reads:
JESAJA 40, 31:
…ZIJ ZULLEN OP VAREN MET
VLEUGELEN GELIJK DE ARENDEN
…THEY SHALL MOUNT UP WITH WINGS AS EAGLES’.
A mere 15 meters next to the pillar is a boulder with the inscription:
AIRBORNE 17_18 SEPT.1944.
The monument is located at Ginkel Heath in the Extended Arnhemseweg Ede and is placed to commemorate the paratroopers who were killed at the Battle of Arnhem. On September 18, 1944 arrived at Ginkel Heath 121 Dakota transport aircraft to. From these planes nearly 2,000 paratroopers jumped to reinforce the troops at Arnhem. Five planes were, however, already shot down before they reached the moors. Before all the soldiers had arrived safely on the ground all 50 men were killed and there were more than 150 missing. The memorial is located at the northernmost point of the former battlefield.
Remembrance and wreath laying
Every year on the Saturday by airborne current paratroopers of the British 4th Battalion at Ginkel Heath conducted an airborne. This is followed by a memorial service and wreath-laying ceremony at the memorial site.
Airborne Monument Heelsum
The Airborne monument in Heelsum (municipality Renkum) consists of several components. An arch hangs a metal statue of a parachutist. The arch is topped by a Pegasus. The Greek mythological Pegasus (winged horse) is the Airborne emblem. On the arch are helmets and guns attached. Among the parachutist is a cannon installed. The gun is mounted on a foundation of containers. two information boards have been placed at the memorial. The memorial is approximately 3 meters 50 high, 3 meters 50 wide and 3 meters deep.
Originally, the memorial was on one of the routes that ran from the landing zones. In connection with the reconstruction of the road it was moved to its present location in Plantsoen 1944 between the Utrechtseweg and Bennekomseweg to Heelsum (municipality of Renkum).
The monument was renovated in the nineties. The monument requires a lot of maintenance because it quickly rust.
The text on the parachute:
IN THIS AREA landed
1ST AIRBORNE DIVISION
ON 17 SEPT. 1944-1 HOUR.
The text on the first information board:
‘THIS AIRBORNE MONUMENT WITH SURROUNDING PARK IS THOROUGHLY
RENOVATED IN 1994 FOR THE OCCASION OF THE 50TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE BATTLE
OF ARNHEM. THIS WAS MADE POSSIBLE THROUGH SUPPORT
OF THE MUNICIPALITY RENKUM AND THE DUTCH ARMY. FURTHERMORE MANY ORGANISATIONS AND PERSONS HAVE MADE THIS POSSIBLE, IN PARTICULAR
THE LOCAL POPULATION.
IT WAS ERECTED IN 1945 WITH MATERIALS FROM THE
COMBAT THAT WERE ABANDONED.
The following components can be distinguished:
– Six-pounder anti-tank gun
– Radio container
– Rijgoten which vehicles and artillery from the gliders were driven
– Helmets paratroopers
– Supply containers were dropped on parachutes
– Close shackle supply container.
– Hooks which supplies containers and baskets were attached to parachutes
The text on the second information board:
“ON THE 17TH SEPTEMBER 1944 ABOUT 13:00 HOUR LANDED IN THE AFTERNOON
TROOPS OF THE FIRST AIRBORNE DIVISION ON HEATH AROUND THIS MONUMENT. ”
Airborne Monument Wolfheze
In the village of Wolfheze, this beautiful monument in remembrance of the 1st Airborne Division. In the surroundings of this village Division landed on 17, 18 and 19th of September. In this place were often the meeting points of the division. We also ran the line Arnhem-Ede, who played a key role in the Battle. The railroad was often very high, so it was a strategic point.
On the monument is reading the following insciptie:
In memory of the units of the 1st British Airborne Division and the 1st Polish Independent Parachutistenbirgade that landed in the area 17, 18 and September 19, 1944. From here they moved to Arnhem to conquer the road bridge as part of Operation Market Garden. The Battle of Arnhem lasted from 17 to September 26, 1944.
Polish Monument Driel
(na lezen niet goed te vertalen)The base of the Polish monument in Driel symbolizes the Polish people. It is on one of the daily turmoil a casket containing Polish earth, flanked by the arms of Poland and Warsaw and awarded the emblem of the Polish brigade.
From the base rises a concrete dynamic element of Poland’s fortitude and undaunted courage. It shall forward the image of youth, the future carrying freedom as precious as a jewel in the hands.
If the times are dark it is or disappear figure, but this is only apparent. Freedom is always and concentrating on national powers accorded to Poland courage and fortitude and always re-form.
The Final War Memorial, made by the sculptor J. Vlasblom, was offered on September 16 1961. Gene. Maj. S. Sosabowski performed the unveiling. The monument was then entrusted to the care of the Municipality of Heteren, now Overbetuwe. On September 18, 1969 received all Polish veterans who had fought at Driel, a commemorative medal. is written on the monument: -Surge Polonia- (Poland will rise)
On the occasion of the 35th anniversary of the Airborne at Driel was set up a pillar on each side of the monument. One pillar bears a plaque with the names of 94 fallen officers and men of the First Polish Independent Parachute Brigade. The coat of arms of Poland and the memorial stone, which formed part of the provisional Monument, were confirmed in the other column.
In the summer of 1991, the square was reconstructed around the Monument. It was named Poland’s Square: Plac Polski. The commemorations take place annually in September. Every 5 years (2019), prior to the memorial service held a dropping involving Polish and Dutch soldiers.
From 1994, all commemorations coordinated by the Airborne Commemoration Foundation (SAH). The Committee Driel- Poland is a member of this foundation.
South of the Rhine is Driel, a small village that is part of the Municipality of Heteren. On September 21 1944, here south of the river in 1680 paratroopers of the First Polish Independent Parachute Brigade to take part in the Battle of Arnhem. Originally Brigade countries south of the Rhine bridge, but because the war situation had changed completely and Urquhart had decided to conquer the Drielse Veer. When she’s wanted to cross at night the Germans lit flares so that the Poles could be easily hit. Only 200 reached across Poland and strengthen the British positions in and around Oosterbeek.
Air Despatch Monument
Air Despatch Memorial in Oosterbeek is a monument to the fallen of the 79 Air Despatch Squadron, who died during the battle of Arnhem, commemorates. It stands near the Airborne Cemetery. Dropping behind enemy lines made resupply very important. The members of the Royal Air Force dedeen their best to drop the goods on the intended goals, sometimes at the expense of their own lives. Unfortunately, areas were identified as supply areas occupied by the Germans, and so were many of the goods into the wrong hands. This memorial commemorates the air and the victims of the supply operations fell with it.
The memorial contains the following text:
“Dedicated to the memory of the air despatchers of the Royal Army Service Corps who, together with aircrew of the Royal Air Force and the Royal Canadian Air Force, gave their lives in valiant attempts to resupply the Airborne Forces during the Battle of Arnhem (Operation Market Garden)
18th – 25th September, 1944
Erected by their comrades and air despatchers past and present, with the generous assistance of the burgomaster and aldermen of Renkum, and other kind Dutch Friends.
18th September, 1994”
Engineers monument Drielse Rijndijk
The Engineers monument on the dike at Driel is a relatively young monument with a special background.
On the night of 25 on September 26 the other soldiers were still evacuated fought in the Battle of Arnhem. To this end it was decided, because according to the Second Army no longer had to fight. The Royal Engineers (genius) and the Royal Canadian Engineers worked through to bring as many brave, tired men to the safe side all night. Some could not wait withstand the long jumps and complete with equipment in the Rhine.
Hence, in the villages along the Rhine often Airborne soldiers lie in the cemeteries. For this brave Corps was never erected a monument. In 1989 it was decided to do something about it. Within six months, the monument stood. The monument can be found on the Drielse Rijndijk, near the railway bridge.
Monument Parkweg Ede
The monument was erected in memory of the victims of the bombing of Ede on 17 September 1944. The bombings were carried out by the Allied forces as part of Operation Market Garden. In the morning the bombing was carried out by the USAAF and afternoon by the RAF. The goal barracks were east of Ede. were many bombs misguided by poor visibility. It fell a total of 69 deaths.
Glider Monument Wolfheze
On Thursday, September 17th, 2009 the Glider monument was unveiled in Wolfheze. At the entrance to Camping Lindenhof is a monument to commemorate the landing of the gliders. These landings were carried out as part of Operation Market Garden at three areas around Wolfheze. The monument gives an impression of landing a Horsa glider.
This monument was erected in memory of the more than 600 gliders landed around Wolfheze. On the morning of September 17, 1944 Wolfheze was heavily bombed here were 90 deaths among the civilian population. In the afternoon, the gliders were brought to liberate our country.
September 2008 has placed the town information panels at the reception of the campsite. These panels give a picture of the events surrounding Wolfheze in September 1944. These panels were intended as a precursor to the now placed Glider Monument. That again was a precursor of an exhibition space that is available on the campsite (Exposition Glider collection Wolfheze).
Gedenkzuil Dreijenseweg Oosterbeek
The memorial column at the Dreijenseweg in Oosterbeek (municipality of Renkum) is made of stone. is a gold plaque on the pillar. Above the plaque is mounted a Pegasus in relief. The memorial is 1 meter 82 high, 25 centimeters wide and 20 centimeters deep.
The text on the column:
ABOUT HERE ON 19 SEPTEMBER
156 PARACHUTE BATTALION
WERE HELD BY STRONG GERMAN FORCES
IN THEIR FIGHT TOWARDS ARNHEM.
MANY OFFICERS AND MEN WERE KILLED OR WOUNDED.
OP 19 SEPTEMBER WERD 156 PARACHUTE BATTALION
TIJDENS DE OPMARS NAAR ARNHEM
DOOR STERKE DUITSE EENHEDEN TEGENGEHOUDEN.
VEEL OFFICIEREN EN MANSCHAPPEN
SNEUVELDEN OF WERDEN GEWOND.’
The Greek mythological Pegasus (winged horse) is the emblem of the Airborne Division.
Originally, the obelisk was made out of wood. Due to the poor condition the monument was in, it is replaced in 1980 by a stone pillar. In 1992 the original English text changed and is also a Dutch translation was added.
Gedenkzuil Valkenburglaan Oosterbeek
The memorial column at the Valkenburglaan in Oosterbeek (municipality of Renkum) was revealed in 1964 and executed in stone. is a gold plaque on the pillar. Above the plaque is mounted a Pegasus in relief. The column is 1 meter 82 high, 25 centimeters wide and 20 centimeters deep.
The text on the plaque reads:
ON 20 SEPTEMBER THE REMNANTS OF
4 PARACHUTE BRIGADE HELD THIS HOLLOW
AGAINST GERMAN ATTACKS, PRESSED
WITH TANKS AND FLAME-THROWERS.
THEY THEN BROKE THROUGH TO
CONTINUE THIS FIGHT IN OOSTERBEEK.
DEZE PLEK WERD OP 20 SEPTEMBER
DOOR DE RESTANTEN VAN
4 PARACHUTE BRIGADE TEGEN DUITSE
TANKS EN VLAMMENWERPERS VERDEDIGD.
NADAT ZE WAREN UITGEBROKEN, ZETTEN
ZE HET GEVECHT VOORT IN OOSTERBEEK’.
The Greek mythological Pegasus (winged horse) is the emblem of the Airborne Division.
Originally, the obelisk of wood. Due to the poor condition of the monument wrong, it is replaced in 1980 by a stone pillar. In 1992 changed the original English text and is, moreover, added a Dutch translation.
Wiltshire Monument Arnhem
The Arnhem mayor Pauline Krikke unveiled on Wednesday April 28, 2010 together with Mr. Ray Hare the memorial for the Wiltshire Regiment in Schuytgraaf. Mr. Ray Hare fought during WWII with the Wiltshire Regiment at the former farm ‘De Laar. This site is now the Buitenplaats located. The Wiltshire Monument stands at the Buitenplaats the Mara Singel Schuytgraaf.
The Wiltshire Regiment has been drawn fighting Arnhem from landing on D-Day. In the south of Arnhem were notably the 4th and 5th battalion of the regiment involved in fierce fighting. Especially at the level crossing at the Laarstraat and farm De Laar has been fiercely fought. The farm Laar was this shot partially on fire. The 4th and 5th battalions finally managed to retain the bases, but when they were redeemed on October 5, 1944 by units of the US Airborne Division, the battalion had to mourn together more than 70 victims.
In December 1944, German troops blew up at the Elden Dorp and came to the land where now the new district Schuytgraaf is largely flooded. This made it very difficult after the liberation to detect all dead. During the Schuytgraaf construction works were recovered, two soldiers of the Wiltshire Regiment in 2001 and 2003. Today, however, there are still 18 missing soldiers of this regiment. The battles that have passed through the Wiltshire Regiment in this area have had at least as much impact as the more famous battles during the Battle of Arnhem. According to the initiators, GEM Schuytgraaf Beheer BV, Van den Herik, KWP and the Municipality of Arnhem, the more reason for the Wiltshire Regiment get the attention it deserves.
The Wiltshire monument was designed by Tirza Verrips. The memorial is in the form of a series of waves, and is made of Corten steel. The waves symbolize the long road that the men of the 4th and 5th Battalion of the Wiltshire Regiment have passed after their landing in Normandy from June 1944. The waves also symbolize the constant German attack waves that came down on the bases of the regiment from the east. The memorial is 4.5 m long, 2.4 m wide and 1.9 m high.
Monument de Vleugel
The monument represents a 7 meter high metal wing for projecting obliquely above the churned earth. It is a metaphor for those who have not yet freed from the war.
End of September 1944 stranded Operation Market Garden in the Betuwe. The front froze along the Linge. The war was expressed in the form of shellings and weather, patrols and hand-to-hand combat. At the same time the evacuation of the civilians was a fact. Since the great flood came upon the Germans blew up the Rijndijk at Elden on. A large part of the Betuwe flooded. The ‘No Man’s Land “was a” No Water “.
Until the beginning of April 1945 the curtain fell for the war in the Overbetuwe. After an endless evacuation citizens returned to their heavily vandalized and looted houses. In many places it was unsafe explosives. But there was another perspective.
The reconstruction could begin.
Mentally detached from the violence of war is a long process. Unresolved pain and suffering his disabilities, the ‘powerless’. The pursuit of salvation from war pain applies to both military and civilian. This monument is also a tribute to those who reside as war refugees in our midst and the veteran who was on a peace mission.
The ‘Gelderland Monument “in Oosterbeek (municipality of Renkum) is a memorial made of seven stacked stones that come from the old church in Oosterbeek. On the two middle bricks is arranged a text. On the left stone is the weapon of Gelderland and the right stone Pegasus. The memorial is 1 meter 37 tall and about 3 meters wide.
The text on the memorial reads:
‘TO THE PEOPLE OF GELDERLAND
50 YEARS AGO BRITISH & POLISH AIRBORNE SOLDIERS FOUGHT HERE
AGAINST OVERWHELMING ODDS TO OPEN THE WAY INTO GERMANY
AND BRING WAR TO AN EARLY END. INSTEAD WE BROUGHT DEATH
AND DESTRUCTION FOR WHICH YOU HAVE NEVER BLAMED US.
THIS STONE MARKS OUR ADMIRATION FOR YOUR GREAT COURAGE,
REMEMBERING ESPECIALLY THE WOMEN WHO TENDED OUR WOUNDED.
IN THE LONG WINTER THAT FOLLOWED YOUR FAMILIES RISKED DEATH
BY HIDING ALLIED SOLDIERS AND AIRMEN, WHILE MEMBERS OF THE
RESISTANCE HELPED MANY TO SAFETY.
YOU TOOK US THEN INTO YOUR HOMES AS FUGITIVES AND FRIENDS:
WE TOOK YOU FOREVER INTO OUR HEARTS.
THIS STRONG BOND WILL CONTINUE
LONG AFTER WE ARE ALL GONE.
1944 – SEPTEMBER – 1994.’